With a little scrap yarn and a few crochet stitches, you can make these Amulets. I make these and include a polished stone with each one. Often, I match the color of the stone to the color of the yarn: purple for amethyst, white for crystal, pink for rose quartz, etc. Then I sell them in my "bargain" bin. They make nice impulse purchase items, and kids really like them too. If you wanted to get fancy, use this same technique and just use a small crochet hook and thinner yarn. You could even include beads by either crocheting them into the piece or adorning the finished amulet with a few dangles of beaded fringe.
First, you will need to know how to do three crochet stitches which Ive already illustrated in "Some Crochet Basics." This amulet is made up using the chain stitch, single crochet, and double crochet stitch. This is not at all a "scientifically perfect project." Youd be surprised how many boo boos you can make, and no one will be able to see them. So, just relax and have fun with it.
To make this Crocheted Amulet, youll need:
crochet hook (G works well but no larger than size I)
a little yarn
1. Start by making 5 chains and leave a 6 inch yarn tale.
2. Next, connect one end of the chain to the other using a slip stitch. (A slip stitch is done by bringing your hook through the end of the chain, brining the yarn over your hook, and then pulling this piece down and through all the loops until you just have one loop around your hook.) This will create a little circle.
3. Now do 8 single crochet stitches working directly through the circle you created. Your circle should be a little bigger now.
4. Do another slip stitch as in step 2 and chain 1.
5. Next, do 9 single crochets, a slip stitch, and chain one.
6. Now do 9 double crochets, a slip stitch, and chain one.
7. Then do one row around your amulet of single crochet.
8. At this point, you really have your little pouch, but I like to add a little frill at the top of mine. To do so, chain 3, then do one slip stitch in the following single crochet. Repeat this all around your pouch.
9. Finally, to make the strap, make about 100 chain stitches.
10. To connect the strap to the other side of the pouch, go through a stitch on the other side thats under one of your frills and do a slip stitch.
11. Secure it by tying an over-hand knot.
12. Weave in all tails of yarn.
If you already know how to crochet, these little amulets will work up quickly. If you are new to crocheting, this is a good beginning project that allows you to learn three important crochet stitches.
Here's a printer friendly copy of this file.
Sign up for the weekly Jewelry Making Newsletter and
find out about new additions to this site each week.
Chat with other jewelry makers in our chat room.
All graphics created by Tammy Powley.